I was looking for a healthy, filling snack when I saw a lonely avocado, a tub of fresh basil, and a container of leftover tomato slices. Then it struck me: avocado-basil sandwich!
I cut one avocado in half — covering and storing one half for another use –, washed five fresh basil leaves, cut one tomato slice in half, toasted a slice of Food for Life Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread, grabbed the salt and pepper shakers, and snagged the nutritional yeast from the pantry.
Once the bread was toasted, I cut it in half lengthwise. I spread the avocado of one side of each bread half. Then, I placed the basil leaves on top of the avocado on one of the bread pieces. I put the tomato on top of the basil, then dusted on salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Finally, I closed the sandwich, placing the bread with just the avocado on it avocado side down onto the tomatoes. Ta-da!
– 1/2 avocado
– 1 tomato slice (cut in half, so as to create 2 half-circles)
– 1 slice of Food for Life Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread (toasted)
– 5 fresh basil leaves
– Salt, pepper and nutritional yeast (to taste)
– Cut the piece of toast in half lengthwise.
– Smear avocado on one side of each of the two toast halves.
– Arrange the basil leaves on top of the avocado on one of the toast halves.
– Place tomato slice halves on top of the basil.
– Sprinkle the tomato with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast.
– Close the sandwich by placing the toast half that has only avocado on it on top of the tomato slices, avocado side down.