Looking for a vegan chili recipe? Searching for a way to make legit vegan nachos? We’re talking a “dairy-eating omnivores will ravage the dish” kind of recipe? I’ve got you.
When I made this flesh-free, dairy-ditching nacho dish, my omnivorous husband, 5-year-old, 3.5-year-old, and 1-year-old all cleared their plates and asked to eat it again the next day. No “eat your food!” fights for a meal almost entirely comprised of veggies? If that’s not a win, I don’t know what is!
VEGAN BLACK BEAN CHILI
– 1/4 vidalia onion (diced)
– 3 cloves garlic (minced)
– 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
– 1 can cream style corn
– 3 tomatoes (diced)
– 2 handful baby portobello mushrooms (diced)
– 1 green bell pepper (diced)
– 2 Tbl garlic powder
– 2 Tbl smoked paprika (yes, it must be the smoked variety)
– 2 Tbl chili powder
– 1 Tbl basil
– 1 Tbl thyme
– 1 Tbl cumin
– .5 Tbl Spike Original Magic seasoning
– .5 Tbl Braggs Liquid Aminos
– 2 Tbl vegan barbecue sauce (ex: Sweet Baby Ray’s Original Barbecue Sauce)
– 2 Tbl prepared yellow mustard
– salt and pepper to taste
– Drizzle olive oil in a large stock pot and place on stove over medium heat.
– Once the oil is warm, add the onion and garlic to the pot and allow to cook while you dice the mushrooms.
– Add the diced mushrooms and let cook while you chop the pepper and tomato.
– Add the the chopped veggies and all of the remaining ingredients to the pot.
– Bring pot to a gentle boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer.
– Simmer covered on low for a minimum of 30 minutes but ideally two hours.
– Serve as is or as nachos.
LEGIT VEGAN NACHOS
– Vegan black bean chili (recipe above)
– Tortilla chips
– 4 slices of Creamy Original Chao Slices dairy-free cheese
– Grab a walled baking sheet, line it with tin foil, and spray with cooking spray.
– Set the oven to broil.
– Pour the desired amount of tortilla chips on the pan.
– Cover the chips with the chili.
– Break up the Chao Slices into shreds and spread evenly over the top of the chili.
– Place the nachos under the broiler until the Chao is melted and blistered (watch carefully to avoid burning.)
– Carefully remove from oven and serve.
* optional: serve with vegan avocado crema (1 avocado blended with 1 cup Tofutti imitation cream cheese, 1/8 cup dairy-free milk, the juice of 1 lime, salt, and pepper)